Thursday, May 3, 2007

It's Taper time!

One more 20 miler then the taper starts. I can't believe how fast 15 weeks has gone by. Uncle Mike's marathon debut will be taking place in 3 weeks!
I can't help but to be a little anxious. This year I have many more eyes watching and have a time that I have to beat. Last year I ran my Marathon debut, I finished a disappointing 33minutes slower than my 4hr goal. It didn't take long for the 1st phone call at work, at the other end a giggling voice asking what my time was..."uhhh, 4:33 something" Ha ha ha , chuckle, belly laughter..."Oprah beat you!"
what? The voice repeated "Oprah beat you".
Apparently Oprah ran a marathon in 1994 with a time of 4:29:20. Since then my brother who works at the same job but different station and his merry band have been reminding me daily. It has even grown to the point that Oprah and I ran the same race and she passed me.
This year my training has gone much better and I hope to finish @ 3:45. I think it was great to finish a marathon, now it is all about getting faster, stronger and qualify for Boston. If not this year next year is ok for me...hope see alot of you there maybe 2009.

No comments: