Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Post marathon thoughts

Thoughts have been swirling around my head about what happened on Sunday. Before I sound negative I just want you to know that I am proud of the fact that I finished marathon #3. Right from the start of my "training" for Detroit I was waffling on which plan I should use. I switched plans like 3 times and missed alot of runs. I kept most of my long runs but those pesky in between runs never made it to my log book. Even though I said I was going to make myself accountable, I never did. It is amazing how much work goes into planning and running a marathon. I found out that having a specific goal is a key and sticking to a schedule that is realistic makes it a heck of a lot easier to run.
In retrospect this is a learning experience. I plan on running many more marathons and sometimes you need to fall flat before you can move forward. So a new resolution to stick to it- ness and realistic goals.

A few thoughts about running a marathon or anyother large race. In the first few minutes of the race I saw alot of things that stuck in my head. I kinda made a list of stuff to remember not to do.
  • Do not suddenly stop to tie your shoe. A lady stopped dead in her tracks to tie her shoe about 5minutes into the race, I was to the left of her but the runners directly behind had just about run her over. There was a lot of yelling RUNNER DOWN , make sure to pull off to the side.
  • Don't turn your Ipod on until the crowd thins out a bit. I saw way too many people blaring Eye of The Tiger at the start and oblivious to what was going on around them. Especially when people stop in the middle of the road to tie their shoe.
  • Don't pee on the seat at the port-a-potty, take a second to lift it up. That .0005 of a second is not going to hurt your PR.

there are more but I don't want to be a whiner.

2 comments:

Tea said...

The pictures are very cool. It shows how hard core we are all...being out there in the dark. :)

Also, yeah, totally agree with your list, and could we add:
4.) do not run 4 or 5 people abreast. Hello...if I can't run around you, I must run THROUGH you.

P.O.M. said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog. Of course guys to join in. I;ve never planned a challenge before, so I will come up with terms this weekend. Not that I even know what that means. ha ha.

Shoot. I forgot what else I was going to say.